Daily High-Intensity Workouts for general physical fitness, strength, and flexibility.

FUNCTION OVER FORM

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

7/8/10 - WOD

Burpee Broad Jumps Around the Entire Block

- try not to look as silly as this dude does

- and my ROUTE

--------------------------------------------------------

Soccer In America

Symphonies - Dan Black

Excited that I had "discovered" a quality track, I played the Dan Black song for my sister and my dad expecting them to enjoy the phat beats as much as I did. Much to my chagrin, they gave it pretty lukewarm reviews - perhaps more positive then their actual opinion because I had billed it as "sick" (not sure if my dad knows what "sick" means, but he pretended). It made me wonder why some people enjoy certain songs and artists and others hate them. There certainly is a bit of cultural baggage associated with songs/artists (see Lady Gaga: people either love or hate her; some people might actually enjoy her songs but hate what she represents, namely the union of music and image - kinda reminds me of Andre Agassi and his combination of tennis and image - "Image is Everything" - which peaked with this commercial, these jorts, and that mullet. Cultural baggage can ruin an entire branch of music for someone. At risk of associating with Nascar fans (sidebar: apparently Nascar is freaking popular. However, I do not know a single person that follows it. Nascar fans, where are you? If you do not live in Kansas, where could you possibly reside?), I restrict my country music library solely to Johnny Cash, and he is protected by the label "classic rock." I hate country music; I like to think this loathing is due to the actual crappiness of the music - Big and Rich, Rascal Flatts - but undoubtedly the hillbilliness of country music has some role (sidebar: I have worked more manual labor jobs than about every single person graduating from an Ivy League University so before someone accuses me of being a Yankee, let it be known I have landscaped, painted, cleaned, and put tiny boxes into bigger boxes full-time... I've done as much blue-collar work as anyone who has not devoted their life to it).
Another interesting thing - yeah, thing - about music is that within the first 3 seconds of turning a song on, I can tell if I like it. When I am driving, I can switch through radio stations seemingly faster than it should be possible to recognize what I'm listening to.
Our snap judgments for music seem to be on the money. Interestingly, our snap judgments about food, TV, shows, and people - when a decision for a person is based on interaction - are almost always correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment